HOW TO IMPLEMENT SOME PBIS STRATEGIES IN THE HOME
- Set routines: Create a daily routine at home with times for learning, exercise, and play.
- Set home expectations: Adapt your school’s behavioral expectations for the behaviors you want to see at home.
- Teach, remind, reward expected behaviors with positive feedback: Try anticipating tough situations and remind kids about the expectations. When you see them doing those things, let them know you noticed by telling them something positive.
- Correct unwanted behaviors: Provide quick corrections or re-directions when someone makes an error.
- Share facts about the current state of affairs: Talk about what’s happening in the world and how your family responds to stay healthy and safe.
- Communicate with schools for instructional guidance: Find out how schools will provide on-line or virtual learning opportunities for their students and learn how to access it.
- Be creative: Find ways to embed learning in your regular day and create space to connect with friends and family virtually.
- Model and Promote Emotional Wellness: Your responses in stressful situations teach your student how to cope during stressful situations.